Microtia and Atresia
The Microtia and Atresia Program at Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center offers elite, state of the art care to treat congenital birth defects of the ear, including microtia and atresia. Our specialists work closely with you to determine the best course of treatment, which could include addressing hearing loss with hearing implants or ear canal surgery or addressing the outer ear deformity with reconstructive surgery.
Conditions We Treat
- Absence of ear canal
- Ear malformations
Meet Your Care Team
Meet our patient care coordinator.
- Acoustic Neuroma, Cholesteatoma, Cochlear Implant Evaluation and Therapy, ENT Ear, Nose, Throat (Otolaryngology), Hearing Loss, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Otolaryngology
- Audiology, Hearing Aid Services, Hearing Disorders, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Audiology
- Cosmetic and Reconstructive Facial Plastic Surgery, ENT Ear, Nose, Throat (Otolaryngology), Ear Deformities, Facial Paralysis, Otolaryngology, Otolaryngology Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Why Choose Microtia and Atresia at Vanderbilt
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is consistently ranked among the nation’s best by leading authorities on health care quality. People from throughout the Southeast and across the country rely on us for the best and most innovative care possible.
- Knowledge and experience
Our surgeons are uniquely trained to perform surgeries to correct ear malformations as a result of microtia. In fact, they perform more than 100 specialized ear reconstructions for patients with microtia each year – with excellent outcomes.
- Team approach
We work together to ensure that you receive the comprehensive care you need. Our team members collaborate with each other, as well as with experts in other medical disciplines, to provide you with individual care that addresses your unique needs.
- Personalized care
We tailor your treatment plan to meet your unique needs and health goals. We help you navigate your treatment options to ensure that you receive the best possible care.
- Specialized care
Vanderbilt is one of only two medical centers in the nation that offer the option of combined microtia and atresia surgery. Customized ear reconstruction using 3D modeling is also performed. As leaders in microtia and atresia care, our team has an annual conference for families to learn more about our advanced treatment options.
- Second opinions
A second opinion can help you make the best decisions. We review your medical history, diagnostic tests, any previous treatments and your personal preferences to provide you with an informed opinion.
- Patient care coordinators
Our patient care coordinators guide you through your care plan. They can help you schedule appointments, gather medical records, address concerns and coordinate your care among all the specialists involved in your treatment.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Hearing tests (audiogram)
- Auditory brain stem response (ABR)
- 3D computer modeling for outer ear reconstruction
- Aural atresia (ear canal) surgery
- Bone-anchored implants
- Combined atresia-microtia surgery
- Rib cartilage ear reconstruction