Surgical Weight Loss
The Vanderbilt Surgical Weight Loss program offers advanced care to help you lose weight and improve your overall health. If you’ve been unable to reach a healthy weight with nutritional and lifestyle improvements alone, surgery might be a better and safer option for achieving your weight loss goals. Our team will work with you to develop a personalized care plan combining surgery, nutrition, exercise and psychological support.
Meet Your Care Team
- Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, GI Surgery, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy
- Benign Disease of the Esophagus, Benign Diseases of the Stomach / Duodenum, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision), Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, Diaphragmatic Hernias, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Surgical Weight Loss Surgery
- Bariatric/Weight Loss Surgery, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, GI Surgery, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery, Surgical Weight Loss Surgery
Why Choose Surgical Weight Loss at Vanderbilt
- Highly skilled teamOur board-certified doctors are specially trained and experienced in all aspects of weight loss. Our specialists partner with you and a team of nurses, dietitians, exercise physiologists and psychologists to help you meet your weight loss goals.
- Collaborative care
Our surgeons work closely with bariatricians (doctors who treat obesity), nurses, dietitians, psychologists and exercise physiologists to create a tailored care plan that is right for you.
- Personalized care
We work with you to determine the best procedure based on your health, unique needs and personal preferences.
- Access to a fitness facility
You can join the Vanderbilt Dayani Center for Health and Wellness (a medical fitness facility) for a reduced membership fee. As a member, you have access to a variety of classes and specialists to help you exercise safely on your own.
As part of an academic medical center, our team is continually exploring new and innovative approaches for weight loss. To help you achieve life-changing results, we provide you with access to the latest proven treatment options.
- Long-term support
From your initial evaluation through surgery through post-operative care, you’ll receive ongoing support. Afterward, you’ll benefit from our support groups and from lifelong guidance regarding lifestyle changes, nutrition education, exercise and medications required to maintain continued success.
- Support groups
As a surgical weight loss patient at Vanderbilt, you have access to our in-person and virtual support groups and a private Facebook group. The Facebook group consists of a community of more than 2,500 patients from every stage of the surgical weight loss process. It serves as a safe haven of support for patients to share recipes, helpful advice, success stories, before and after photos and inspirational words.
Surgical Weight Loss Program
Read how our patients are experiencing a new way of living after losing weight through Vanderbilt’s surgical weight loss program. Click here to see more stories.