If you have a complex vascular condition, surgery may be the best treatment option for you. Vascular surgery focuses on the areas outside your heart, including your aorta and major blood vessels.
The vascular surgeons at Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute are leaders in the field, having pioneered innovative surgeries for vascular conditions such as aortic aneurysm. We collaborate with other heart experts to ensure the best possible outcome for you.
Vascular Surgery: Why Choose Vanderbilt?
When you come to Vanderbilt, you can count on:
- Recognized excellence: Vanderbilt is ranked No. 1 in Tennessee for heart care by U.S. News & World Report, a designation that includes vascular surgery. We treat a high volume of patients and treat a wide variety of vascular conditions. This depth of experience means we can provide you with the safest, most effective surgery.
- Top surgeons: Vanderbilt’s experienced vascular surgeons are board certified in vascular surgery. They have undergone extensive training in this specialty, making them uniquely skilled to care for you. Our surgeons stand out for their expertise in treating conditions that affect the vascular system. We perform advanced procedures for patients that may have been turned away from other hospitals.
- Latest surgical techniques: Blood vessels serve your heart, brain, extremities and other organs, making vascular surgery a complex specialty. Our surgeons use the least invasive means to get the best outcomes. We have a history of pioneering innovative surgical techniques, such as minimally invasive aneurysm repair. Patients from around the region come to us for aortic aneurysm and dissection procedures.
- Team approach to care: Vanderbilt vascular surgeons work with vascular medicine specialists, cardiologists and cardiac surgeons, as well as other specialists. We draw on each other’s expertise to develop a personalized care plan for you.
Types of Vascular Surgery
The vascular surgeries we most often perform include:
- Surgery for aneurysm and dissection: We are a referral center for treating aortic aneurysms and dissections. Doctors from elsewhere send their most complex patients here for surgery. We perform both minimally invasive and traditional open surgery to repair aneurysms and dissections. Learn about our specialty in treating aortic disease in our Marfan Syndrome and Aortic Disorders Center.
- Surgery for peripheral artery disease (PAD): We manage PAD nonsurgically if possible. If you need surgery, our surgeons are experts in performing minimally invasive interventional procedures, such as angioplasty, stenting, stent grafting, atherectomy or vascular bypass. Learn more about peripheral artery disease.
- Surgery for venous disease: If your varicose veins require surgery, we offer the latest minimally invasive techniques such as endovenous laser treatment (laser treatment of abnormal veins to destroy them). This technique is nearly pain free, allowing you to return to work or activity within 2 to 3 days.
Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute Locations
Our experienced team of doctors may see patients at additional locations. To find the location closest to you, call (615) 322-2318.
Maury Regional Medical Center
1220 Trotwood Ave., Suite 401
Columbia, TN 38401
Map and Directions
Medical Center East
1215 21st Ave S., 5th Floor
Nashville, TN 37232
Maps and Directions