At the Vanderbilt Center for Womens Health, we are honored to celebrate pregnancy and childbirth with you. We'll help you choose the right option for your pregnancy care and delivery option, based on your needs. You'll partner with a team of our board-certified OB-GYNs, certified nurse midwives, nurse practitioners and residents to monitor your health, follow the growth and development of your baby, and make important choices about exercise, nutrition and preparing for motherhood.
Pregnancy Care: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- Your birth, your way: we offer many prenatal care and birth options so you can choose the right pregnancy experience for you.
- A world-renowned hospital system: beyond our highly trained team of doctors, midwives and nurses, you will have access to a world-class hospital system: Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Local care in your area: we offer convenient care at three hospitals and more than half a dozen clinics across Greater Nashville.
- Top specialists in high-risk pregnancy: if challenges arise during your pregnancy, our team includes specialists in high-risk maternal-fetal medicine to help you have a safe and healthy delivery.
Prenatal and Obstetric Services
Our services include:
- Advanced diagnostic tests: first trimester ultrasound, fetal well-being, fetal anatomy and genetic abnormality screenings
- Apgar testing at birth to monitor your newborn's general health
- Coaching on feeding and breast-feeding supplies
- Expect with Me: a group-setting option for prenatal care
- Home safety products and education
- Hydrotherapy pools for labor (limited availability; please request in advance)
- Midwifery options
- Parenting education
- Prenatal genetic counseling
- BabyTime iPhone app: our easy-to-use app for the iPhone helps you time your contractions
Pregnancy Programs and Clinics
- Our clinics at One Hundred Oaks, Cool Springs and Thompson's Station provide convenient, state-of-the-art pregnancy care.
- Nurse midwives at the West End Women's Health Center and Vanderbilt Midwives at Melrose provide a low-tech approach to delivery while still delivering at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Vanderbilt midwives also provide service at Baby+Company, a fully licensed birth center for delivery outside the hospital.
- We also offer pregnancy care at Vanderbilt Franklin in Williamson County and Northcrest Medical Center in Springfield.
Pregnancy Care Locations
See all of our women's health locations.
Tour Our Labor and Delivery Areas
Take a video tour of our labor and delivery areas:
You can download an overview of our labor and delivery area at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for printing.
Classes: Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Beginning Breastfeeding. This class prepares you for breastfeeding, including prenatal preparation, keys to successful breastfeeding, and pumping and storing breast milk.
- Expect With Me. This is not a class but a complete program for pregnant women who prefer a group setting for prenatal care.
- Feeding. The Vanderbilt Women's Education and Lactation Center offers individual consultations and group classes to help you feed your baby.
- Infant CPR. For those interested in infant rescue breathing and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), we recommend courses through the American Heart Association and American Red Cross.
- New Beginnings Childbirth Class. This all-day Saturday class for expectant mothers and supporters teaches coping skills for labor.
- Newborn Care. This class prepares expectant mothers, adoptive parents and grandparents, and supporters for a newborn's first month of life.