Program for LGBTQ Health
The Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program for LGBTQ Health is an innovative effort to improve healthcare for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer patients. We help patients navigate Vanderbilt’s healthcare services, connecting them with LGBTQ-competent providers and resources.
LGBTQ patients may face a greater chance of inadequate healthcare, certain medical problems and chronic diseases and higher rates of mental health conditions, such as depression, than the general population. As patient navigators, our focus is to address these healthcare disparities.
We work in hand-in-hand with the Clinic for Transgender Health, which provides gender-affirming hormone therapy and surgical intervention for transgender patients.
For patients under 18, please see the Pediatric Transgender Clinic for gender-affirming care.
Meet Your Care Team
- Acute and Reconstructive Burn Surgery, Cosmetic Plastic Surgery, Gender Affirmation Surgery, Migraine and Occipital Neuralgia Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Adrenal Disorders, Diabetes Mellitus: Type 1, Type 2, MODY, CF-Related, Neonatal, Disorders of Sexual Development / Intersex, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Health, Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology, Pediatric Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Pubertal Disorders: Precocious and Delayed
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Surgery, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Surgical Oncology
- Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, Pelvic Floor Reconstructive Surgery, Urethral Strictures, Urinary Incontinence, Urodynamics, Urology
- Adrenal Disorders, Diabetes Mellitus: Type 1, Type 2, MODY, CF-Related, Neonatal, General LGBT Health, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Health, Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology, Pediatric Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Pubertal Disorders: Precocious and Delayed
Why Choose Program for LGBTQ Health at Vanderbilt
- Training and accreditation
Our unique training program creates a network of doctors across the medical center prepared to care for LGBTQ patients.
Our groundbreaking Trans Buddy program provides patients with volunteer patient advocates who provide emotional support during any kind of healthcare visit at Vanderbilt.
- Personalized care
We tailor your treatment plan to meet your needs for cultural competency, affirmation of who you are and understanding you and your family. We help you navigate your treatment options to ensure that you receive the best possible care.
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is a national leader in LGBTQ patient care, including cultural competency training, research and education. We earned a 100% rating from the Healthcare Equality Index.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Intersex health services
- Mental health services
- Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Sexual and reproductive health services
- Transgender health services