The Interventional Cardiology Program at Vanderbilt University Medical Center uses minimally invasive techniques to treat heart and blood vessel diseases. Our experienced specialists often can replace heart valves and repair other heart defects in the cardiac catheterization lab (“cath lab”) without traditional surgery.
Conditions We Treat
- Congenital heart disease
- Cardiogenic shock
- Coarctation of the aorta (narrowing of the aorta)
Meet Your Care Team
Ahmad J. Abu-HalimahMD, FACC, FACP, FSCAI
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Coronary Heart Disease, General Cardiology, Heart and Vascular, Hypertension, Interventional Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Disease
Brent C. AndersonMD
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Heart and Vascular, Interventional Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Heart and Vascular, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy & Inherited Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease
Colin M. BarkerSr, MD
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Heart Valve Center, Heart and Vascular, Interventional Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease
Why Choose Interventional Cardiology at Vanderbilt
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is consistently ranked among the nation’s best by leading authorities on health care quality. People from throughout the Southeast and across the country rely on us for the best and most innovative care possible.
- Knowledge and experience
We perform more procedures every year in our cardiac catheterization lab than any other hospital in the region. Our vast experience means expert care for you. We welcome patients with even the most advanced or complex heart conditions, who may have been turned away by other hospitals.
- Skilled clinicians
Our doctors have specialized training in interventional cardiology. As leading experts, our doctors also serve in the organizations responsible for establishing national guidelines for patient care.
We offer advanced therapies that are not widely available. For example, we were the first in Nashville to consistently perform interventional cardiology procedures through a wrist artery instead of a leg artery. We also were first in Tennessee to use minimally invasive catheter techniques to replace aortic valves and to treat mitral valve insufficiency.
- Team approach
We work together to ensure that you receive the comprehensive care you need. Our team members collaborate with each other, as well as with experts in other medical disciplines, to provide you with individual care that addresses your unique needs.
- Clinical trials
As part of an academic medical center, we offer access to some of the most promising new approaches being tested in clinical trials. Find a clinical trial.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Alcohol septal ablation
- Atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure
- Coronary angioplasty and stenting
- Heart biopsy
- Peripheral artery angioplasty and stenting