Hereditary Kidney Cancer
The Hereditary Kidney Cancer Program at Vanderbilt treats pediatric and adult patients with inherited kidney cancers. These include von Hippel Lindau (VHL), Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome (BHD), hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell carcinoma (HLRCC), tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) and hereditary papillary renal cell carcinoma (HRPC).
The VHL Alliance has designated our program a Comprehensive Clinical Care Center. This organization is dedicated to research, education and support to improve awareness, diagnosis, treatment and quality of life for those affected by VHL.
Each patient receives care from specialists across Vanderbilt in their diagnosis, screening, intervention and treatment. We welcome patients of all ages into our program and are heavily involved in clinical trial opportunities.
Conditions We Treat
We treat patients with hereditary kidney cancers and their related conditions, including:
Meet Your Care Team
- Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, General Hematology and Oncology, Leukemia and Lymphoma, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Solid Organ Malignancies
- Cancer, Genetics, Hematology/Oncology, Medical Oncology, Prostate, Bladder, and Kidney Cancer, Urologic/Genitourinary Cancer
- Bladder Cancer, Genitourinary Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Laparoscopy and Robotics, Prostate Cancer, Urologic/Genitourinary Cancer, Urology
- Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Prostatectomy, Urologic Cancer, Urologic/Genitourinary Cancer, Urology
Why Choose Hereditary Kidney Cancer Care at Vanderbilt
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is the only VHL Alliance-designated Comprehensive Clinical Care Center in the southeast US. Vanderbilt serves the entire southeast region and provides the only comprehensive opportunity for services in a five-state region.
- Collaborative care
Our director coordinates specialty services through your diagnosis, treatment and ongoing care. We work closely with other specialties across Vanderbilt, including endocrinology, medical genetics, neurology, gastroenterology and pediatrics. We also provide you with access to specialists in psychology and social work as you manage the whole-life impact of your treatment.
- Personal attention
Our dedicated patient navigator will coordinate your appointments, provide access to other services, and serve as your single point of contact throughout your care journey.
- Access to clinical trials
As part of an academic medical center, we offer access to clinical trials of some of the most promising new treatments for hereditary kidney cancer. Find a clinical trial.
We can offer specialty care through a simple video consult with your doctor. This means you have access to a Vanderbilt specialist, close to home.