Cornea and External Diseases
The Vanderbilt Eye Institute offers high-quality, compassionate care to people with any type of disorder of the cornea. We treat a wide range of conditions that involve the surface of the eye, including the cornea, conjunctiva and lens.
Meet Your Care Team
- Cataract Surgery (Traditional and Laser), Corneal Dystrophies, Corneal Herpes, Corneal Transplantation, Keratoconus, Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Why Choose Cornea and External Diseases at Vanderbilt
- Clinical trials
As part of an academic medical center, we offer access to some of the most promising new approaches being tested in clinical trials. Find a clinical trial.
- Advanced technology and treatment
You’ll get the most advanced treatment because our ophthalmologists are fellowship-trained. We use the latest techniques and technology to treat corneal diseases. For instance, our team offers the most advanced type of corneal transplant, and now uses a new non-invasive method called collagen corneal cross-linking for the treatment of keratoconus. This strengthens a misshapen cornea and can prevent the need for a transplant.
- Team approach
Our team works closely with other specialists (retina, glaucoma and oculoplastics) to make sure all your needs are met. Additionally, our cornea experts collaborate with rheumatologists to help patients whose vision may be affected by their autoimmune conditions like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Amniotic membrane transplants
- Collagen cross-linking
- Confocal microscope examination of corneal layers
- Corneal surface measurements with Pentacam
- Keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea)
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT) and OCT angiography (OCTA)