The iPhone app CoachSmart is the ultimate resource for coaches, offering real-time information on heat index and lightning strikes, frequently asked sports medicine and safety questions, and a group contact feature.
The app is free to download with an annual in-app subscription to live lightning data for $1.99.
A collaboration between Vanderbilt Sports Medicine and the Monroe Carell Jr. Childrens Hospital at Vanderbilt, the app is an extension of Vanderbilt Sports Medicines expertise.
- If lightning strikes nearby, the app sends an alert to the phone and the resource section provides information on what to do.
- The Home Screen gives current temperature, humidity, heat index and lightning strike information.
- The Map Screen is based on the users GPS location. One map shows lightning strikes within 25 miles, while another uses information from nearby weather stations to post current conditions, including heat index and wind chill.
- The Contacts function allows the user to compile team members contact info and send a message to the entire team with the touch of a button.
- The Resources section includes information that athletic trainers commonly dispense, such as hydration tips, injury prevention, concussion guidelines, and when to go to the emergency room. The resources will be updated as more information is needed or guidelines change.
- The app includes the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) heat index guidelines.