Spinal Cord Stimulation
At Vanderbilt, we understand that chronic pain not only limits your physical abilities but can affect your overall quality of life.
We are regional experts in neuromodulation for pain syndromes, which includes spinal cord stimulation (SCS), dorsal root ganglion (DRG) stimulation and peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS). This treatment involves implanting tiny electrodes near the spine or other nerves. Its electrical pulses change the way nerve cells communicate pain signals to the brain. SCS can be helpful in some cases where other treatment, including medication, has not worked. Neuromodulation can decrease pain, improve function, provide better quality of life and, in some cases, reduce the amount of medication our patients need.
Neuromodulation procedures are done on an outpatient basis (day surgery).
Conditions We Treat
Conditions we may treat with spinal cord stimulation include:
- Chronic back pain
- Chronic neck pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CPRS)
- Isolated nerve dysfunction (mononeuropathy)
- Pain radiating from back or neck to the limbs
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
Meet Your Care Team
- Anesthesiology, Chronic Back Pain, Complex Region Pain Syndrome, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Interventional Pain, Neuropathic Pain, Pain Management
Why Choose Spinal Cord Stimulation at Vanderbilt
- Skilled clinicians
VUMC interventional pain experts implant both temporary and permanent implants. Research has shown that providers with more experience placing implants result in better outcomes for patients.
- Personalized care
Our team evaluates your medical history and your needs, to determine if SCS can help you, where to place your implant and how to power it. We work with your goals in mind, and provide follow-up care specific to your needs. Neuromodulation is done on an outpatient basis (day surgery).
- Team approach
Our center has a pain physician on call 7 days a week, to best help patients through the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative period.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Placement of temporary SCS leads
- Placement of permanent SCS system
- Placement of temporary DRG (dorsal root ganglion) leads
- Placement of permanent DRG (dorsal root ganglion) system
- Placement of temporary peripheral nerve leads
- Placement of permanent peripheral nerve system