Head and neck cancers start in the tissues and organs of the head and neck. Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center is nationally recognized for head and neck cancer care and one of the Southeast’s leading cancer treatment centers. Whether it’s early-staged cancer or cancer that is advanced and complex, we provide the expert, personalized care you need.
Head and Neck Cancer Care: Why Choose Vanderbilt-Ingram?
At Vanderbilt-Ingram, you will find:
- Multispecialty team: Our team of otolaryngologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and plastic surgeons combine their expertise to create a personalized treatment plan for you.
- Collaborative team: You don’t just have one doctor here – you have a team that works together to tailor a treatment plan that meets your needs. Our head and neck specialists communicate and collaborate with speech pathologists, radiologists, registered dietitians, physical therapists, lymphedema specialists and palliative care providers.
- Coordinated care: At Vanderbilt-Ingram, a patient care coordinator will work with you to help schedule appointments, answer questions about your care, connect you with support services and communicate with your insurance provider. Our coordinator can also arrange hotel accommodations, if needed.
- Tumor boards: At our regular tumor board (cancer care) meetings, our cancer experts discuss complex cases individually. Together, some of the nation’s leading cancer experts across medical disciplines collaborate on choosing a treatment plan.
- Renowned research and clinical trials: As a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Vanderbilt-Ingram is continually exploring new and innovative treatments. Our range of clinical trials offers you new and promising approaches to care.
Types of Head and Neck Cancer We Treat
We treat all types of head and neck cancers, including:
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer
- Laryngeal Cancer
- Lip and Oral Cavity Cancer
- Metastatic Squamous Neck Cancer with Occult Primary
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer
- Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Paranasal Sinus and Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Salivary Gland Cancer
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment
Your treatment will depend on your type, location and stage of cancer. In some cases, you may need a combination of treatments. Vanderbilt-Ingram offers a full range of treatments, including:
- Surgery: Our team offers a range of surgery options for head and neck cancer. We use innovative minimally-invasive surgical techniques when possible, so your recovery is easier and quicker.
- Radiation therapy: We use customized radiation therapy to target your tumor with exceptional precision, offering effective treatment with minimal side effects.
- Chemotherapy: This therapy uses powerful drugs to destroy the cancer cells in your body. Our team uses the latest technology to deliver the medicine safely and effectively.
- Clinical trials: These studies offer you new and promising approaches to care, before they are widely available. View our clinical trials for head and neck cancers.