The Microtia and Atresia Program at Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center offers elite, state-of-the art care to treat congenital birth defects of the ear, including microtia and atresia. Our specialists work closely with you to determine the best course of treatment, which could include addressing hearing loss with hearing implants or ear canal surgery or addressing the outer ear deformity with reconstructive surgery.
Microtia and Atresia: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- Recognized care: U.S. News & World Report ranks Vanderbilt Otolaryngology among the top programs in the nation for ear, nose and throat care. We are the #1 adult hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville.
- Experienced surgeons: Our surgeons are uniquely trained to perform surgeries to correct ear malformations as a result of microtia. In fact, they perform more than 100 specialized ear reconstructions for patients with microtia each year – with excellent outcomes.
- Collaborative, tailored care: At Vanderbilt, you’re guaranteed to receive personalized care that addresses your individual needs – starting with your first appointment. Our surgeons collaborate with audiologists, anaplastologists and other specialists to ensure your current and ongoing health care needs are met.
- Unique expertise: Vanderbilt is one of only two medical centers in the nation that offer the option of a combined microtia and atresia surgery. Customized ear reconstruction using 3D modeling is also utilized. As leaders in microtia and atresia care, our team also has an annual conference for families to learn more about our advanced treatment options.
- Expert second opinions: We provide second opinions to help you make more informed and confident decisions. Our informed opinion takes your medical history, tests, treatments and personal preferences into account. To learn more about a second opinion, call (615) 322-6180.
Conditions We Treat
- Absence of ear canal
- Ear malformations
- Auditory brain stem response (ABR)
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- 3D computer modeling for outer ear reconstruction
Treatments We Offer
- Aural atresia (ear canal) surgery
- Bone-anchored implants (BAI)
- Combined atresia-microtia surgery
- Porous polyethylene ear reconstruction
- Rib cartilage ear reconstruction
- Ear prosthesis
John S. Odess Clinic for Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery
Medical Center East, South Tower
1215 21st Ave. S., Suite 7209
Nashville, TN 37232
For Referring Physicians
To refer a patient to Vanderbilt’s Microtia and Atresia team, call our patient coordinator Meghan Geiser at (615) 343-8848.
Related Programs and Services