- Drink water.
- Eat wet snacks (e.g. grapes, watermelon, cucumbers).
- Minimize caffeine and alcohol.
- Many medications have drying side effects. Discuss these with your physician and compensate for the dryness with more water.
Think about your throat
- Don’t compete with background noise. Don’t try to raise your voice over radios, TVs, restaurant noise, machinery/appliances. This is a voice abuse that may create or worsen a voice problem.
- Don’t sing when you’re sick. Minimize speaking as well. Check with your physician to be cleared for performances.
- Minimize throat clearing and coughing.
As a professional voice user, your voice is a limited resource that requires care and conservative use.
The above statements are suggestions for general vocal health. For more specific recommendations, contact one of the voice professionals at (615) 343-SING (7464).