Stuttering Treatment Program at Vanderbilt
Stuttering makes communication challenging for many people, both children and adults. If you or your child are experiencing new or recurring concerns about stuttering, we can help.
Conditions We Treat
- Acquired stuttering
- Developmental stuttering
- Fluency disorders
- Neurogenic stuttering
- Psychogenic stuttering
Meet Your Care Team
- Hearing and Speech, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Speech Language Pathology, Speech Language Pathology, Speech and Language Disorders, Stuttering / Fluency Therapy
- Autism Disorders, Hearing and Speech, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Speech Language Pathology, Speech Language Pathology, Speech and Language Disorders, Stuttering / Fluency Therapy
- Autism Disorders, Hearing and Speech, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Speech Language Pathology, Speech Language Pathology, Speech and Language Disorders
Why Choose the Stuttering Treatment Program at Monroe Carell
- Treatment for all ages
From parent-child intervention for preschoolers, individual and/or group therapy for school-age children, to individual and/or group therapy for adults, the Vanderbilt Stuttering Program has a wide variety of holistic, age-appropriate interventions, whether you or your child has been challenged by stuttering for two months or 20 years.
- Research-informed treatment
Vanderbilt has a dedicated research program devoted to understanding more about stuttering. We also connect with other clinical researchers across the globe including those from the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering in London. Our treatment team uses cutting-edge knowledge to develop better therapies to address the behavioral, attitudinal and emotional aspects of stuttering and its impact on daily communication.
- Additional programs
The Vanderbilt Stuttering Program is involved with a number of support programs including Fearless Communicators, a Toastmasters Group for adults who stutter, Camp TALKS (Talking And Learning with Kids who Stutter), family education and support, and a National Stuttering Association self-help group.
We can offer specialty care through a simple video consultation with your doctor. This means you have access to a Vanderbilt specialist, close to home.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including assessment and treatment options for those of any age with cluttering or atypical disfluencies.
- Adult fluency evaluation
- Group adult stuttering therapy
- Group stuttering therapy for children
- Individual adult stuttering therapy
- Individual stuttering therapy for children
- Palin parent-child interaction (PCI) therapy for preschoolers and kindergarteners
- Parent training and support group
- Pediatric fluency evaluation