Vanderbilt surgeons provide relief from reflux (heartburn) for people from across the Southeast. People turn to us for care for problems affecting swallowing and the stomach because we take a holistic approach to each individual’s condition. We offer a wide range of surgeries and highly trained surgeons. You’re sure to find the best possible option for you.
Conditions We Treat
- Recurrent pneumonia
- Reflux-related chronic respiratory conditions
Meet Your Care Team
- Benign Disease of the Esophagus, Benign Diseases of the Stomach / Duodenum, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision), Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery
Meredith C. DukeMD, MBA, FACS
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, Diaphragmatic Hernias, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Surgical Weight Loss Surgery
Michael D. HolzmanMD, MPH
- Benign Disease of the Esophagus, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, GI Surgery, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision)
Why Choose Reflux/GERD Care at Vanderbilt
- Personalized care
Our experts offer a full range of treatment options, including many types of surgery. We consider your symptoms, medical history, medications, lifestyle and more to provide the best plan for you. If surgery isn’t the answer, we can connect you to other Vanderbilt Health specialists for a different approach.
- Expert surgeons
Our fellowship-trained surgeons have received extensive training and have deep experience performing a wide range of procedures using minimally invasive techniques. Our team includes the only surgeon in Middle Tennessee who does per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM), laparoscopic surgery for achalasia (a rare disease of the esophagus muscles).
- Innovative care
We offer LINX magnetic sphincter augmentation. This innovative device to treat reflux is customized to your body.
Treatments, Tests and Services We Offer
- Endoscopic surgery
- Fluoroscopic imaging
- Heller myotomy
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery