If you can’t swallow correctly, or have an illness affecting the esophagus (the tube connecting the throat with the stomach), this creates other uncomfortable problems. These conditions can be hard to diagnose. Vanderbilt experts help you find answers and relief, even in many cases when medication or surgery hasn’t helped. We customize treatment so you can live your best possible life.
Swallowing and Esophageal Care: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- Teamwork among experts: You get care customized to your needs, because our team includes many different specialists. For people with voice disorders, we work with ear, nose and throat doctors. Pulmonologists help us treat those with asthma and chronic cough. Our NCI-designated cancer center treats cancer of the esophagus. We also refer some patients to our excellent Vanderbilt surgeons.
- Depth of expertise: We are one of only a handful of clinics in the United States treating rare or complex problems with the esophagus and swallowing. The world’s leading expert on esophageal dysmotility – when food isn’t moving from the throat to the stomach properly – is part of our team.
- Advanced technology: Vanderbilt helped develop wireless pH monitoring, which changed how reflux is diagnosed all over the world. We also use other new technologies, including impedance monitoring, high-resolution manometry and bile monitoring – all ways to determine what’s happening in your esophagus.
- Second, or third, opinions: If medication hasn’t helped your reflux or other symptoms, our specialists can review your diagnosis. You may need a different type of treatment, such as surgery.
- Our research sets standards of care that others follow: We are at the forefront of science when it comes to diseases involving the esophagus. Our discoveries influence how other doctors and hospitals treat these conditions.
- Clinical trials: Because we do ongoing research at Vanderbilt, you may have a chance to participate in clinical trials of treatments that are not otherwise available.
Conditions We Treat
Diagnostic Tests We Offer
Treatments We Offer
We can provide a wide range of treatments, depending on your needs. These include:
- Endoscopic treatments, including stents and dilation
1301 Medical Center Drive
The Vanderbilt Clinic, Suite 1660
Nashville, TN 37232
Fax: (615) 343-8174
Map and Directions
For Referring Physicians
The Vanderbilt Digestive Disease Center is one of the few digestive disease clinics in the state with open-access endoscopy. We allow you to refer patients directly for the procedures they need. Our department provides a collaborative effort with other specialties available at Vanderbilt. This enables us to provide the highest quality of care for our patients and referring providers.
For referrals and appointments: (615) 322-0128
Related Programs and Services