Asthma, Sinus and Allergy Program / Allergy Relief / Treating Stinging Insect Hypersensitivity

Treating Stinging Insect Hypersensitivity

Hypersensitivity to insect stings can be a life-threatening condition. Our specialists at the Vanderbilt allergy clinic can help you reduce your risk of a severe reaction. Call (615) 442-8245 to make an appointment.

Symptoms of Hypersensitivity to Insect Stings

Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis, may include:

  • Wheezing or shortness of breath
  • Chest pressure
  • Lightheadedness
  • Hives
  • Throat closing
  • Swelling of the tongue or lip

If you have been stung by insects such as honeybees, yellow jackets, wasps, hornets or fire ants and have one of these symptoms, you should be tested for stinging insect hypersensitivity.

Read more about allergies to stinging insects.

Immunotherapy Treatment for Stinging Insect Hypersensitivity

Immunotherapy can reduce your reactions to insect stings so you are no longer at risk of death or illness. Treatment may involve a series of allergy shots. This safe and effective treatment reduces the severity of reactions to insect stings for many people with hypersensitivity.

At your first appointment, a Vanderbilt allergy specialist will test your condition to develop a treatment plan that is right for you.