MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss for Employers
Weight Loss That Works for You
Approximately 40% of Americans suffer from obesity. Many of these individuals are also managing co-morbid conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes. Obesity-related complications significantly increase absenteeism and lower overall productivity, while also driving up healthcare costs.
While weight loss surgery is a viable option for a portion of this population, many employers have opted not to cover these procedures because historically they have been associated with high complication rates, an alarming number of readmissions and potentially astronomical costs. Weight loss surgery has improved in recent years with a level of safety similar to other abdominal surgeries performed in a minimally invasive fashion. We have also discovered innovative new ways to finance and deliver care.
It’s time to take advantage of this innovation.
MyWeightLossHealth– Surgical Weight Loss combines Vanderbilt’s world-class medical care with a reimagined approach that delivers a better experience for your employees while still ensuring appropriateness of care. This bundle includes coverage of two surgical procedures: Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (“Gastric Sleeve”) and Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass (“Gastric Bypass”).
A Smarter Approach to Weight Loss
With the MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss bundle, you benefit from:
Reduced risk - With a bundle agreement, we assume risk for the financial and clinical outcomes of our weight loss surgeries. For one predictable price, your employees gain access to a comprehensive approach that delivers high-quality results.
Meaningful outcomes – Weight loss surgery produces long-term health benefits for patients, often greatly reducing or eliminating conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and type 2 diabetes.
Sound decisions – Only patients who can truly benefit from surgery will be enrolled in a MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss bundle. Once screened as eligible, our multidisciplinary team works with the patient to prepare them for a successful outcome.
Turnkey implementation - You don’t have to redesign your current benefit plan, and there’s no membership fee or PMPM costs for joining the bundle. You are simply offering a better experience for your employees who seek weight loss surgery, while protecting your benefits budget.
The MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss bundle includes coordinated, proactive care from the new patient consult through weight loss procedure and post-op follow up. Features include:
- Concierge support from a dedicated patient navigator
- Bariatric office visits pre- and- post surgery
- A pre-surgery clearance visit for each of the services listed: cardiology, gastroenterology, neurology, pulmonary, endocrinology and hematology.
- Dietitian and psychiatric visits
- Necessary diagnostic imaging such as an EGD (endoscopy of upper GI tract)
- All activities related to the chosen procedure (whether Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass) and hospital stay
- Post-surgery emergency visits, observation stays, and related hospital admissions or procedures for 90 days
- Labs, including vitamins, monitored for entire year post-surgery
- Lifetime access to a support groups
How the MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss Bundle Works
- Interested candidates speak with our patient navigator, who confirms health plan eligibility, explains the process and collects required information.
- Once health plan eligibility has been confirmed, the patient will be scheduled for a surgical consult to determine medical eligibility.
- If the care team deems an individual a good candidate for surgery, he or she will officially begin their journey to weight loss surgery. Patients that are determined not candidates for surgery will be offered other weight loss treatment options outside of the MyWeightLossHealth– Surgical Weight Loss bundle.
- Pre-surgery education on topics ranging from nutrition to emotional wellbeing will be available to help the patient prepare for the procedure. Patients will also be connected to a social support group made up of other current and past participants.
- Typical hospital stay is 1-2 days for both surgical procedures. Often patients are able to return to work in less than two weeks.
- Our care team will arrange post-operative check-ins to ensure the patient is on the road to recovery. We will stay by the patient’s side for a full year to ensure long-term success.
- An experienced team. Our board-certified physicians are specially trained and experienced in all aspects of weight loss. These specialists partner with a team of nurses, dietitians, nurse practitioners, licensed social workers and psychologists to help transform patients’ lives.
- Advancing research and treatments. As part of an academic medical center, our team is continually exploring new and innovative approaches to weight loss. To help patients achieve life-changing results, we streamline access to the latest proven treatment options.
- A comprehensive approach. We recognize that a weight-loss journey doesn’t just encompass physical aspects—there are emotional facets to consider as well. That’s why we also offer connections to our psychologists, support groups and other health resources.
- Long-term support. From initial evaluation through appointments to follow-up support groups, our team encourages patients every step of the way. Patients receive life-long guidance on lifestyle changes, nutrition education, exercise and medications for continued success.
Let's Get Started
Are you ready for change? Let us show you how the MyWeightLossHealth – Surgical Weight Loss bundle can make healthcare work better for your employees and your bottom line. Contact our Employer Solutions team at:
- Email: employerSolutions@vumc.org
- Phone: (615) 343-9520