Inherited Heart Disease
Inherited heart diseases are rare conditions that need specialized care. You can find it at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Specialists in our Inherited Heart Disease Program care for patients of all ages. We can help determine and manage your risk of developing a genetic heart disease, as well as provide expert treatment.
Conditions We Treat
We treat all inherited heart diseases, including:
- Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC)
- Familial hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol)
- Long QT syndrome
Meet Your Care Team
- Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Center, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiovascular Medicine, Carotid Disease, General Cardiology, Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Abdominal Aortic (AAA), Aortic Center, Cardiovascular Medicine, Carotid Disease, General Cardiology, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Varicose Veins
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Congestive Heart Failure, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy & Inherited Disease
- Abdominal Aortic (AAA), Cardiovascular Medicine, Carotid Disease, General Cardiology, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Varicose Veins, Vascular Surgery
- Aortic Center, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Valve Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, Heart Valve Center, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Surgery for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms
Inherited Heart Disease: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is consistently ranked among the nation’s best by leading authorities on health care quality. People from throughout the Southeast and across the country rely on us for the best and most innovative care possible.
- Skilled clinicians
Our team includes cardiologists who are nationally renowned experts in inherited heart disease. Their specialized training and advanced insights make them uniquely skilled to care for you.
- Team approach
We work together to ensure that you receive the comprehensive care you need. Our team members collaborate with each other, as well as with experts in other medical disciplines, to provide you with individual care that addresses your unique needs.
- Coordinated care
When heart disease runs in your family, we care for all generations of your loved ones. If children are affected, we coordinate their care with pediatric heart experts at Vanderbilt’s Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital.
- Genetic counseling
With one of the only cardiovascular genetic counselors in the region, our team can better determine how a heart condition affects you and your family. Our genetic counselor will evaluate your family tree and identify others at risk. We may recommend genetic testing, as well, which can help decide what treatment is best for you; and screening your family members for their heart-health risks.
- Access to specialists
If a minimally invasive procedure or surgery is the next step in your treatment, you’re already at the right place. At Vanderbilt, you have access to some of the top heart and vascular specialists in the nation. And because genetic diseases can affect more than just your heart, we can connect you with other relevant specialists.
- Advanced care
As part of an academic medical center, we are leaders in caring for the most complex conditions. Our commitment to research means that you receive the most current, advanced treatment available.
- Clinical trials
As part of an academic medical center, we offer access to some of the most promising new approaches being tested in clinical trials. Find a clinical trial.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Care recommendations for your family members
- Comprehensive cardiovascular testing
- Genetic evaluation
- Minimally invasive heart and vascular procedures
- Cardiac devices
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Cardiac surgery