An illness or long-term medical condition can affect your mind as well as your body. The Health Psychology Program at the Vanderbilt Dayani Center for Health and Wellness helps Dayani patients — especially those with heart, lung or voice disorders — adapt to the emotional and behavioral aspects of their medical condition.
Conditions We Address
Some examples of conditions we address are:
- Anxiety following a heart attack or diagnosis of a lung disorder
- Motivation to stick with an exercise or physical therapy program
- Motivation to stick with dietary improvements or prescription medications
- Stress or anxiety contributing to a voice disorder
Why Choose Health Psychology at Vanderbilt
- Knowledge and experience
Our health psychologist has extensive experience diagnosing and treating emotional and behavioral problems associated with medical conditions — with a special focus on disorders of the heart, lungs and voice. His depth of experience translates into expert, comprehensive care for you.
- Personalized care
We tailor your treatment plan to meet your unique needs and health goals. Treatment can help improve your sense of empowerment and confidence in dealing with your medical condition. It also can equip you to better follow exercise, diet or medication recommendations.
Tests, Treatments and Services
- Positive psychology interventions
- Strategies for acceptance and commitment therapy
- Strategies for increasing motivation for exercise or healthy diet