Adult Spinal Deformity
The Vanderbilt Adult Spinal Deformity Program cares for patients 18 years and older with spinal deformities. Our goals are to reduce your pain, increase your physical functional ability and, when appropriate, restore normal spinal alignment. We provide physical therapy, injections and medications, as well as specialized surgeries for even the most complex cases.
Conditions We Treat
- Dropped head syndrome
- Post-laminectomy kyphosis
- Scheurman’s kyphosis
- Proximal junctional kyphosis
Meet Your Care Team
Amir M. AbtahiMD
- Adult Orthopaedics, Cervical Spine, Lumbar Spine, Neurological Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Spinal Deformity
Christopher M. BonfieldMD
- Congenital Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord, Craniofacial Surgery, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Disorders, Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Neurologic Surgery
Jacob P. SchwarzMD, FAANS
- Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Disorders, Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Spine, Spine, Comprehensive, Tumors of the Spine and Spinal Cord
Byron F. StephensII, MD, MSCI
- Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, Cervical Spine, Neurologic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Spinal Deformity, Spinal Surgery, Spine
Scott L. ZuckermanMD, MPH
- Cervical Spine, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Orthopaedics, Spinal Deformity, Spinal Surgery, Spine
Why Choose Vanderbilt to Treat Adult Spinal Deformity
- Skilled clinicians
Our care team – from operating room technicians to anesthesiologists to surgeons to floor nurses – specializes in spine care. Our surgeons have the fellowship training and expertise to handle everything from common surgeries to the most complex. This includes addressing problems caused by prior surgeries.
- Team approach
For the most complex cases, two experienced surgeons on our team take the lead together. This collaboration reduces blood loss and complications, and shortens your time in the operating room. It also enhances your recovery time.
- Personalized care
We tailor your treatment plan to meet your unique needs and health goals. We help you navigate your treatment options to ensure you receive the best possible care.
- Superior outcomes
On average, our patients report significant improvements in pain, general health and quality of life after treatment.
- Long-term follow-up
Unlike any other spine center in the region, the Vanderbilt Spine Center carefully tracks how our patients are doing, even years after surgery. We use this information to improve how we care for future patients.
- Second opinions
A second opinion can help you make the best health decisions. We review your medical history, diagnostic tests, any previous treatments and your personal preferences to give you an informed opinion.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Medication management
- Physical therapy, including water-based physical therapy
- Steroid injections
- Pain blocks
- Spinal stimulators