Your Birth Experience at VUMC
There’s freedom in the care you receive.
We know that few experiences in life are more important than the way you give birth. And that’s why we are committed to your safety and comfort during this special time.
Our labor and delivery team provides evidence-based high-quality care for women and their families in a supportive, welcoming space. Patients will tell you that there’s freedom in the care that you receive here.
Whether you want an unmedicated experience or need specialized care for a condition that puts you or baby at higher risk, we work with you to personalize your birth experience.
Renovated Labor and Delivery Unit
A Full Spectrum of Birthing Options
- No-intervention unmedicated birth
- Low-intervention unmedicated birth
- Labor in water (subject to room availability)
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- Remote fetal monitoring, allowing for freedom of movement during labor
- Bring your own certified doula or take advantage of free volunteer doula support
- Pain management options, including specialized obstetric anesthesiologists onsite 24/7
- Choose to bring birthing tools such as peanut balls, birth stools, etc. to help you ease labor pains, be more comfortable, and feel empowered
- Valet parking
- Lactation support including equipment for rent or discount purchase
- Pre-natal telehealth services for eligible patients
- Inpatient and telephone breastfeeding support from board-certified lactation consultants
- Optional in-person childbirth and breastfeeding classes (new class dates will be announced after it is safe to resume in-person activities)
- Breastfeeding support group
- Tele-lactation classes available for a small fee
- Lactation equipment available for rent
Why Choose to Deliver at Vanderbilt
- Personalized care
Our experienced team which includes on call OBGYNs, midwives, residents and obstetric anesthesiologists works with you to honor your birth plan, whether you’re seeking a traditional birth, a low-intervention birth attended by a midwife or need specialized care.
- Specialized expertise
When you’re pregnant, the best-laid plans may change. By choosing Vanderbilt, you can be sure you have everything and everyone you need, whatever happens. If you or your baby needs a specialist, our colleagues are at the ready. If your baby needs special care before or after birth, we have the most advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and the Fetal Center at Vanderbilt.
- Convenient services
Our lactation consultants are available throughout the day and 5 nights a week. This means we will be able to support you when you need it.
- Pharmacy services
Our pharmacists will deliver any prescription you may need to your room prior to discharge. This allows you to receive your medications and ask any question without making an extra stop.
When you arrive on our main campus, go to the entrance of our Emergency Department. Your support person will need to park in the east garage across from the hospital. An ED nurse will welcome you and escort you to our labor area on the fourth floor.