Regional cancer therapy
Regional cancer therapy is an approach to cancer treatment that focuses chemotherapy or radiation therapy in one region or organ. Because regional therapies deliver chemotherapy or radiation to as small an area as possible, the rest of the body is protected from side effects, and higher-dosage treatments can be used.
For some patients, regional therapy can provide better results than traditional chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Regional cancer therapy, also known as regional perfusion, includes several types of treatments: HIPEC (hyperthermic, or heated, intraperitoneal chemotherapy), chemoembolization, radioembolization and tumor ablation.
- Treatment involves delivering high doses of chemotherapy or radiation to the area affected by cancer. Because treatment is regional, dosages can exceed those that would be used over a larger treatment area.
- Regional therapy is appropriate for those with advanced cancer that is confined to a single area. The most common area treated is the abdominal cavity, or peritoneum.
- Regional therapy will not cure most cancers, but it can extend life and improve quality of life.
- Regional cancer therapy may be given before or after other surgical operations.
- Often, candidates have already received traditional cancer treatments.
- Regional cancer therapy is for adult patients age 18 or older.
Why Choose Regional Cancer Therapy at Vanderbilt
- Innovative technology
New technologies are rapidly improving the effectiveness of regional cancer therapies. These regional therapies usually result in fewer side effects. Your doctor will discuss with you if regional cancer therapy is an appropriate treatment option for you.
- Patient-focused care
At Vanderbilt-Ingram, you don’t have one doctor – you have an entire cancer care team. From your surgeons to your medical oncologists to your interventional radiologists – we work together to develop personalized care plans that meet your needs.
- Skilled clinicians
We are experts in the emerging field of regional cancer therapy. Our doctors share their expertise and collaborate as a team to get you the most effective results.
- Recognized cancer care
The National Cancer Institute designates us as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, the highest ranking by the world’s leading authority on cancer.
- Comprehensive post-treatment support
Cancer affects all aspects of your life, and it affects you even after treatments are completed. We offer robust support services – including a survivorship program and an integrative care center – to help you during treatment and in your life after treatment.