It is important for you to plan ahead when traveling abroad. The Vanderbilt Travel Clinic wants you to have the best trip possible and recommends you take the following steps before you head abroad:
- Fill and take the necessary quantity of your daily prescriptions with you.
- Get immunized
- Identify the U.S. Embassy closest to your destination
- Contact your medical insurance company about specific requirements for being treated abroad.
- Contact your insurance provider to identify all of your options and coverage for Medical Evacuation from your intended destination. Additional Medical Evacuation Insurance may need to be purchased. This is important as you never know when a medical emergency may occur.
- Learn the symptoms of the diseases that are prevalent in the area to which you are traveling.