Do you find yourself craving sugar? We recently held a seminar about healthy sugar alternatives and how to deal with your cravings. Scroll down to view all of our expert's tips for overcoming your sweet tooth or see a quick recap of some of the top tips below:
- Most people eat 100% of their daily sugar allowance during breakfast. Items like cereal bars, juice and fat free yogurt are loaded with sugar.
- Watch out for "fat free". Because they take out the fat, they add tons of sugar to make it taste better.
- Stevia, agave, brown rice syrup, barley malt, honey, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses are healthy sugar alternatives. However, they are still sugar, so moderation is key.
- Simples sugars provide calories but no nutritional benefit. They are easy to overdo since they aren't filling. Can promote weight gain, which does increase risk for certain types of cancer.
- Lemon tea and peppermint tea is a great substitute when your body is craving sugar.
- Use natural foods to help manage sugar cravings. Incorporate into meals (use root veggies or fruit). Natural treats like dried fruit, frozen dates, herbal teas.