Burn Injury Referral Criteria
For minor burn injuries:
- Flush the burn area with cool water.
- Don't apply ice. It can be too harsh for burned skin and cause tissue damage.
- Folk remedies such as applying butter do not help the healing process and may increase the risk of infection if the burn is severe.
- Call our Burn Clinic to make an appointment 615-936-BURN (2876).
When to seek medical treatment at the Vanderbilt Burn Center:
- Partial thickness burn is greater than 10 percent of total body surface area
- Burns that involve face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum or major joints
- Full thickness burn (of any size on any age patient)
- Electrical burns (including lightning)
- Chemical burns
- Smoke inhalation
- Burn injuries with patients who have pre-existing medical disorders that could complicate management
- Any patient with burns and traumatic injuries
- Pediatric burn patients in hospitals without qualified personnel or equipment for care of children
- Burn injury in patients who will require social, emotional or long-term rehabilitation interventions.