Advisory Council Details
If you are considering joining an advisory council, already serve on one of our councils, or are forming a council at your health system, we have detailed more information about how Vanderbilt Health uses advisory councils to further our mission. The four councils at Vanderbilt Health are differing stages of maturity and support each other in improving quality and safety at Vanderbilt Health.
Vanderbilt University Hospital Advisory Council
The council’s charter outlines the objectives of the council and commitment of its members who serve Vanderbilt University Hospital and its outpatient facilities.
If you are already a member of the advisory council, our members' only section provides information that will help you in your role as a member, including meeting agendas and minutes. A password is required to access these documents. Please contact your Advisory Council Chair if you have not been provided one.
- We treat patients and families with dignity and respect and honor their choices.
- We communicate and share information in a timely way with patients and families so they can participate in care and decision-making.
- We encourage and support patients and families participation in care and decision-making at the level they choose.
- Our leaders collaborate with patients and families to develop policies and programs. We work together with patients and families in facility design, medical education and the delivery of care.
- Patient safety
- Patient education
- Health literacy
- Service and experience improvement
National and international presentations by council members:
- National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF)
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care (IPFCC)
- University Health Systems Consortium (UHC)
- Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS)
Representation on Vanderbilt committees:
- Patient and Family Engagement Steering Committee
- Executive Diversity Committee
- VUMC Strategic Directions Design Workgroup
- PCORI Research Project
- Patient Education Council
- Palliative Care Committee
- Food Committee
- My Health at Vanderbilt
- Women's Health DesignShop
Behavioral Health Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council includes patients and family members who have experience with Vanderbilt Behavioral Health or other providers in the mental health community in either inpatient or outpatient settings.
- Working together with the administrative team of Vanderbilt Behavioral Health to promote principles of patient- and family-centered care.
- Collaborating with leadership to improve the quality of care provided to patients and their families.
- Collaborating with VBH leadership to improve patient and family satisfaction.
- Offering suggestions to VBH leadership in planning and evaluating services, programs, policies, teaching materials and education to healthcare providers.
- Promoting a positive relationship among VBH, its families and the regional community and thereby serve as a vital link between the hospital and the community.
- Contributing to the education of present and future healthcare providers at VBH.
- Serving on key committees related to patient care such as, but not limited to, patient safety and patient satisfaction.