Vanderbilt Heart has extensive experience treating patients with heart failure and advanced cardiomyopathies. Our team includes cardiac and transplant surgeons, specially trained and certified cardiologists, nurse practitioners, social workers, dieticians, psychologists, pharmacists and infectious disease doctors. Many studies have shown that this multidisciplinary approach makes for better outcomes and improved quality of life for our patients.
To make an appointment, call (615) 322-2318.
Heart Failure Treatment
We evaluate each patient to find the cause of heart failure, find out how far the disease has progressed and identify the best treatment possible. Treatment options include:
- Medicine - While medicines don't cure heart failure, the right combination can improve heart function, slow the progress of the disease and relieve symptoms.
- Pacemaker - Battery operated pacemakers can stimulate the heart so that it beats with a regular rhythm and works more efficiently.
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) - (ICDs respond automatically to a patient's heart arrhythmias, delivering an electric shock to return the heartbeat to normal rhythm. Implanted devices are closely managed by electrophysiologists - cardiologists trained especially to diagnose and treat abnormal rhythms.
- Cardiac Resynchronization - This therapy involves implanting an electronic device called a biventricular pacemaker that stimulates the heart with electrical signals.
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) - Vanderbilt is one of the first hospitals in the region to offer a life-saving treatment option for severe heart failure patients. This device serves as a temporary bridge so that a patient can recover heart function prior to transplantation or as destination therapy.
- Atrial Fibrillation Program
Surgery can help heart failure patients with damaged coronary arteries or heart valves. Vanderbilt Heart offers comprehensive pre-operative screening, cardiac surgery and post-operative care for these patients. Procedures our surgeons perform include: