Vanderbilt Safer Visit
- A Safer
- A Safer Clinic
- A Safer Surgery
For your safety we encourage you to:
- Make a list of your medications and bring it with you
- Include any over-the-counter medicines, vitamins or supplements on your list
- If you don't have a list, bring all your medicines with you in a bag
- Ask a doctor, nurse or pharmacist about anything you don't understand
- Discuss any allergies or reactions to drugs with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist
- Check your prescription before you leave the pharmacy to make sure it is right. Pharmacies normally will not take medicine back once it is purchased.
Taking your medicine
- Know the name and color of the medicine
- Ask the doctor or pharmacist:
- what is it?
- what is it for?
- how do I take it?
- how much do I take?
- how often do I take it?
- what should I look for?
- Keep your medicine in a safe place away from the reach of children
- Take your medicine in the dark
- Take your medicine without your glasses if you need them to read
- Be afraid to speak up if something is not right